How are people doing?

Curtis

Reaction score
Have not heard from this board for a while. How is the spring season treating you all? Anyone getting on the water?

I have not had much chance lately as the spring came in like a lion. Hoping to go hit the Upper Provo soon which is some of my favorite water around here. Tons of brookies, some reaching 18 inches. Lots of colorful cutts and a few grayling. All this in one of the most beautiful areas known to man.

Cliff Hilbert

Reaction score
The fishing around East Texas has been up and down, depending on the cold fronts that regularly move through. Last weekend I caught eight largemouth bass up to 4 lbs, and one 1.5 lb crappie at Bellwood Lake in Tyler. Yesterday I fished at Lake Fork for about three hours (it was cold and windy because a front passed through the night before) and caught a 5.6 lb bass on a zonker-type fly. The fishing should be great for the next few days with no cold fronts moving through.

ffjones

Reaction score
curtis,
would you mind sharing some productive spots on the upper?
i am usually fishing near the sundance exit while on the provo.
what is the condition up there? the mountains just got around five feet so i would think that area is snowed in.

Curtis

Reaction score
Yeah, it is snowed in right now. I like the Provo along Mirror Lake Highway, sr 150. It is smaller, colder, and above all, LESS CROWDED. Head up to Kamas and then onto the Mirror Lake Highway. You will also have a ton of great small lakes to fish as well. That entire stretch up there is wonderful.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curtis said:
Yeah, it is snowed in right now. I like the Provo along Mirror Lake Highway, sr 150. It is smaller, colder, and above all, LESS CROWDED. Head up to Kamas and then onto the Mirror Lake Highway. You will also have a ton of great small lakes to fish as well. That entire stretch up there is wonderful.
Grayling, Grayling, Grayling...

royalcutt

Reaction score
The spring fishing season has been great so far. Catching some baetis hatches here and there has made for some amazing fishing. Heading out of state, and northward next week for some early season fishing on some of the west's famed rivers (can't wait). Even though the fishing has been great I am still dreaming of big bugs, warm days, and wet wading. Good luck all.

Curtis

Reaction score
I am hoping the Salmonfly hatch happens on the BSF up there this year. That is one of the best times on Utah waters. Right up there with the Greens cicadas and the Mid Provos Green Drakes. MMMM MMMMM MMMMM, Spring!

camparizona

Reaction score
Hello everyone, If anyone is planning on camping and fishing in Arizona, please check out www.camparizona.com if you need any information about campgrounds in Arizona. Fishing Reports are also available on the site as well as what species of fish are available in the surrounding camping areas.
Thanks,
Chris
www.camparizona.com

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've been getting about 4 hrs in each sunday. Last sunday it resulted in that 10# capr on my 3wt. Can't complain about that.

Curtis

Reaction score
WOW! That must have been a ride! WOO HOO!

I remember reading about a rod designer for Orvis who took out the new 1 weight he had just designed to see how it would fare against bone fish. Man, that would have been fun. Cool thing is that they did not break the rod.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Curtis said:
WOW! That must have been a ride! WOO HOO!

I remember reading about a rod designer for Orvis who took out the new 1 weight he had just designed to see how it would fare against bone fish. Man, that would have been fun. Cool thing is that they did not break the rod.
I had heard it was a "0" wt.

tightlines57

Reaction score
Made one trip to the mountains with some of the AZ boys, fishing was awsome. Been hitting some of the local lakes for bass, they are slamming poppers.

Live in AZ now but when I lived in TX did lots of bass fishing in east TX and some salt water in the Galveston area.

Fish Bones

Reaction score
Hello tightlines:

Welcome to the forum. I'm an East Texas boy... so what part of East Texas did you fish?

Curtis

Reaction score
tightlines57 said:
Made one trip to the mountains with some of the AZ boys, fishing was awsome. Been hitting some of the local lakes for bass, they are slamming poppers.

Live in AZ now but when I lived in TX did lots of bass fishing in east TX and some salt water in the Galveston area.
Welcome aboard. Tell us about the area you are fishing and what is going on right now.

I went to the Provo river today but it was not too great. They recently opened it up to bait fishing and I saw more ugly sticks and zebcos today then when I go to Kmart!!!! I caught one fish and the other two I saw were both dead. One on a stringer and the other left to rot on the bank. Makes me sad!

ffjones

Reaction score
where were you fishing on the provo?
i am going up there tomorrow and am wondering if i should go to the mp or if there is anywhere you would recomend?
maybe i will hit diamond fork, anybody know what the runoff is doing to that stretch?
has anybody hit afc lately?
i heard the weeb is thick anybody been there in the last few days?
i was thinking of doing some stillwater but with the way the weather is i think i need to hit a river.

Curtis

Reaction score
ffjones said:
where were you fishing on the provo?
i am going up there tomorrow and am wondering if i should go to the mp or if there is anywhere you would recomend?
maybe i will hit diamond fork, anybody know what the runoff is doing to that stretch?
has anybody hit afc lately?
i heard the weeb is thick anybody been there in the last few days?
i was thinking of doing some stillwater but with the way the weather is i think i need to hit a river.
I was down near Deercreek. About a mile above it. The stretch I was on had just been revamped so it is rebounding right now. It is also the stretch that has been opened to bait. If you go, I heard that above Jordanelle in the Rock Cliffs area is doing good with the Rainbows coming into the river in prep for the spawn. I personally like the upper Provo better then any stretch of that river but the area I really like is not accessible right now as it is clear up on the Mirror Lake Hwy. The lower and middle are packed with people. Diamond might be doing well. This time of year it really is a guessing game. Let us know how you do and good luck. I saw quite a few baetis but no rises. Also, the stones are starting to move around. I would imagine that hatch is about a week off. WOO HOO!

tightlines57

Reaction score
Lived in Humble so I fished Livingston a lot. A also remember some old gravel pits (sorry, can't remember the name) where the bass fishing was great. Since I lived on Lake Houston I also fished it quite a bit. Fished Galveston and the Texas City dike.

ffjones

Reaction score
hit the provo today with the rest of utah.
that water is chocolate milk. i didn't think it would be so bad but it was as bad as diamond fork ever is.
i got skunked which just ruined my day.
i guess for the next month i will be trying out the new toon and learning how to fish still waters.
what is everybodies favorite still water manual?
any utah stillwater fisherman got any tips or suggestions on where a good location to start would be?

Curtis

Reaction score
ffjones said:
hit the provo today with the rest of utah.
that water is chocolate milk. i didn't think it would be so bad but it was as bad as diamond fork ever is.
i got skunked which just ruined my day.
i guess for the next month i will be trying out the new toon and learning how to fish still waters.
what is everybodies favorite still water manual?
any utah stillwater fisherman got any tips or suggestions on where a good location to start would be?
Really!?! Wierd. It was crystal clear yesterday. How high was it? I wonder why they would raise it so quickly. I guess a trip later this week is out. I guess it is tying time for a little while.