Best five patterns

hcampbell

Reaction score
First post. I'm 17 and love fishing, most the time i spinner fish but fly fishing is my number one passion. I live in boise and mostly fish the boise river but also fish the salmon and other areas around. I'm just wondering what patterns would be the best for fishing the boise. I'm looking for five or so patterns in three sizes. I think that'll give me a good base to start. My dad has flies he's collected over his time as a fly fisherman but i wanted to start my own collection.

Thanks

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
South Fork of the Boise is almost as good as it gets, so you live in a great spot. I would try the following:

1. Golden Stone (Big Ugly) Rubberlegs in size 6
2. Flashback, bead-head Pheasant-tail in sizes 18, 16, 14
3. KG's South Fork Special (actually named for the South Fork of the Snake River) Here's a pic and a recipe:

South Fork Special

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size #14
Thread: 8/0 Olive/Dun
Bead: Copper 3/32
Tail: 8-10 Pheasant-tail fibers
Rib: Chartreuse Uni wire – small
Abdomen: Ice Dub – pearl
Thorax: Ice Dub – olive brown
Wingcase: Pheasant-tail fibers
Wing/Legs: Olive Hen Feather

4. Elk Hair Caddis in sizes 14 and 16
5. My new favorite dry fly - Smoke Jumper in size 14 and 16

There you have it. I carry so many flies that I couldn't possibly pare it down to five favorites, but this list gets pretty close.

Kelly

hcampbell

Reaction score
thank you for the fast reply. I've heard that elk hair caddis are the bread and butter fly of the boise. And these other choices look good as well. Thanks for the help i will definitly be picking some of these up when i can.

Jimmie

Reaction score
If I were going to start a new box it would have the flies in many persons top five list. I'll see how many I can remember:
Dry's: Parachute Adams; Elk Hair Caddis; Griffiths Gnat; Ant
Nymphs: Pheasant Tail Nymph (KG SF Special); Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear; Copper John; Prince Nymph.

Sorry if this second part seems like a hijack to your thread. It's just to send out a "Bravo" to Kelly. I found out what the KG stands for in the recipe you posted. It's your published nymph and what a winner. I tied one, and can't wait to fish it. It looks awesome.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Hi H.
In addition to the suggestions that you get from the forum members, you might want to start learning a little bit of entomology. By learning the bugs that frequent your waters, you could make your fly choices. You don't need to emerse yourself to a college level course. You just need to know a few bug types.

If you want a small reference book that identifies bugs and some corresponding flies, take a look at Schollmeyer's Hatch Guide for Western Streams. It is a great reference that fits into the pocket of a vest. The pages are made of waterproof paper, so it's safe to take a dunk with it. You can get it at any fly shop, Amazon, or major book store.

MP

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
If I were going to start a new box it would have the flies in many persons top five list. I'll see how many I can remember:
Dry's: Parachute Adams; Elk Hair Caddis; Griffiths Gnat; Ant
Nymphs: Pheasant Tail Nymph (KG SF Special); Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear; Copper John; Prince Nymph.

Sorry if this second part seems like a hijack to your thread. It's just to send out a "Bravo" to Kelly. I found out what the KG stands for in the recipe you posted. It's your published nymph and what a winner. I tied one, and can't wait to fish it. It looks awesome.
Thanks, Jimmie. This fly is a real winner and I always carry plenty when I'm out and about, more to share with fellow anglers than for fishing, but that's what it's all about isn't it. Take this thread for example, here we can share our favorites as well as our local expertise with someone asking for some advise. The flyfishing community is the greatest collection of helpful and friendly people I have ever had the pleasure to associate with.

I agree with MP regarding Schollmeyer's book. The man is a genius and I try to get my hands on anything he writes or says. Besides that he's a great guy.

Kelly.

P.S.: althought KG's South Fork Special is a great fly overall, in waters where there are whitefish it is candy to them...just sayin':D

hcampbell

Reaction score
Thanks for all this great advice. I'll look at all of it when im choosing my flies. At my high school we actually had practical entemology, i took it last year just because you got to tie flies, build a rod, and go fishing for a day, and for an easy A. So i have some knowledge, very basic but a little. I will still look into that book. Do you guys have any ideas for a casting and technique book? i have my basic casts down but could always add to the arsenal.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like you're in good hands here for advice so I'll just say welcome to the forum. I hope you become a regular poster here and I'm sure you will make some friends.

Ard

hcampbell

Reaction score
Thank you, i regular a few other forums, butr this i definitly the warmest welcome i've gotten.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Re: Best five patterns - well covered above.

One web site that I visit frequently (will be there in a few minutes) is Hillsdiscountflies out of Yakima, Washington. Been buying from them for years without a bother.

But, one of the great things about the site is the hundreds of colour photos of fly patterns. It's a trip just to page through and (as will be the case shortly) drop a few bucks.

Tie most of my own, but when I get down to size 10's and below ......... at 68, I'm not the Guy I used to be.:lol2::surprise:

hcampbell

Reaction score
me and my dad went up to the south fork yesterday. It was pretty fun but the river seemed pretty high and the fish weren't really hitting much. We started out using hoppers, i switched to a nymph and strike indicator and hooked onto a beautifull colored wild rainbow about eight inches. Then nothing else the rest of the day. All in all it was really fun. And i'm looking foward to the next time i make it up there.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Sounds like a great day on the water. Looking forward to more of your trip reports-- you got great advice from the guys. Good luck!

hcampbell

Reaction score
thanks. It was really fun, i'm contemplaiting on planning a raft trip down the south fork, just rent a raft and float it while fishing along the way. One of the coolest parts of the trip was seeing a huge turkey buzzard sitting on a rock in the water then a large otter swam up and kicked the buzzard off the rock. It was pretty fun to watch.