Waaay out of my 'wish list' price range!

flytie09

Reaction score
I thought that's the going rate for Steelhead all inclusive trips these days. I'd say a special event for most. Some guys spend that on cigars or scotch in a year.

If we don't get our act together....there won't be fish or trips like this available. Let's be happy there still is.

ft09

denver1911

Reaction score
I have fly fished for nearly 40 years. I've sat trot lines with my grandad, bank fished for bluegills with crickets we caught in the field, used plastic worms for largemouth bass in resevoirs, and done many other types of fishing. For the first 35 years of this, it was all done on the cheap. Backpack camping, car camping, cheap motels, aluminum john boats, etc. With time, I mastered trout fishing on our state's premier tailwater, trout fishing in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park, river smallmouth on my local waters, and a few other sports. I grew up lower-middle class. I had a blast and learned a lot. Now, I am a in a career where I have more money than time. I'd gladly pay someone $600 - $700 per day to take care of all the details for me, take me to a fishing spot I could never develop on my own with the little free time I have, and teach me what they've learned through their experiences. Without folks like these guys, folks like me would never have those experiences. Personally, this would not be a trip for me, but the past few years, I've been paying for saltwater flats fishing I could never do alone.

Bigfly

Reaction score
You guys know we do half day trips too?
Spend a little, learn a little, have a little fun......

I wish more rivers had the regs that the N Umpqua has....
Fishing there isn't consumer style fishing.....
You pay dues, and walk where the cleat marks of long passed anglers show the way..........

Jim

mka

Reaction score
That would be a fun trip...but not possible on my retirement check. The photography in the article was outstanding!!!! Thanks for the post!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to spend a couple days up there when I visited you and your area Fred. I didn't hire them but still had a great time fishing that little river. I considered myself lucky to have seen 2 fish catch some air (jump high) although they were of course on the opposite side of the current from me............... Anyone who has fished the N. Umpqua knows that when they are all the way over you have only scant seconds after the fly lands before it is torn away by the current. That seems to be the case regardless of your line handling skills.

The currents were swift, the seams a thing of beauty and the basalt bedrock something to approach with due caution. It rained so hard both days that the river came up but the water didn't color much at all. The additional water made the already difficult task even more of a challenge.

I am looking forward to coming back but Boss will be 13 this spring and I don't want to put him through air travel again. He's flown a lot in jets and float planes but with age he has a hard time getting into a bush plane these days. Come to think of it, so do I :)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
"I am looking forward to coming back but Boss will be 13 this spring and I don't want to put him through air travel again."

Fully understand Ard; Dog's , like us, hit a point where you have to 'dial back' as to where/how you take on same. Mine was when I had to help them both in/out of the back of the Jeep Liberty. No way were they going to do that on their own.:(

fae

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fred

Those prices are not out of line with what other outfitters are charging for fly fishing trips that involve multiple days fishing/lodging/meals.

Here is what Trout Creek Flies charges to do an overnight float and fishing trip on the Green river below Flaming Gorge.

And here is what South Fork Outfitters charges to do an overnight float and fishing trip on the South Fork of the Snake river in Idaho.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
A tank of gas, couple cans of beans, and sleeping bag in the back of the jeep = $60 overnight trip

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

ejsell

Reaction score
My parents asked me to pick up a trip tik to Niagara Falls. The agent putting it together mistook NF for Newfoundland. My response to him was I didn't know you could drive there and he told me you can with a 16 hour ferry ride. Which leads me to doing a bunch of research last week on Atlantic salmon and fly fishing in Newfoundland. Looks like you can get a few all inclusive deals for $2000 to $3000 for 6 days. Looks like a pretty limited window and making reservations about a year in advance. But definitely adding to my bucket list.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dillon

Reaction score
The beautiful North Umpqua fly only section is all public and accessible from the road. There are great forest service campgrounds, and the famed Steamboat Inn. Just saying...