When is best time to visit Pyramid Lake?

myt1

Reaction score
I'm already starting to gather some ideas for next year's trips and Pyramid Lake seems to be creeping to the top of the list.

If I'm interested in fishing from shore...I'd like to give the ladder thing a try...when is the typical peak season?

I just read on another thread that during the spring the water close to shore is too warm and the fish tend to be farther out in deeper water where a boat might be necessary.

Thanks so much.

S

smcnearn

Im wondering about the conditions at the lake since last years closure from the flooding and land slides....?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luj333

Reaction score
I was just there last weekend. Conditions are fine and fishable. Guide said this Oct has been hit or miss based on the days and whether or not the fish end up pushing bait by where you are standing. We had a tough day but lake is definitely fishable at this point.

myt1

Reaction score
My buddies and I are penciling in trip for next March.

We might also stop by Ruby Lake Wildlife Refuge as well; which is kinda sorta on the way from Phoenix.

We figure as long as we are in the "beat our heads against the wall mode" we might as well go full Monty.

Thanks for the help.

spt2

Reaction score
By mid to late May, it has been my experience that the water is too warm and the fish are there, you just have to get to them with a float tube and either strip a streamer with a Type 6 full sink, or suspend a chrominid a few feet off the bottom - they will be in fairly deep water, I've never had luck casting from a ladder by mid to late May. Plus, once the weather warms, you'll have an army of yahoos coming up from Reno, not the best for peace of mind.

I would think March and April would be ideal....

myt1

Reaction score
By mid to late May, it has been my experience that the water is too warm and the fish are there, you just have to get to them with a float tube and either strip a streamer with a Type 6 full sink, or suspend a chrominid a few feet off the bottom - they will be in fairly deep water, I've never had luck casting from a ladder by mid to late May. Plus, once the weather warms, you'll have an army of yahoos coming up from Reno, not the best for peace of mind.

I would think March and April would be ideal....
Thanks so much.

We seem to be narrowing in on March.

The thing is, I would like to camp at the lake and it might be too cold for that. I just have a truck with a camper shell.

My buddies want to stay in cheap hotels in Reno. I might relent...not sure yet.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Thanks so much.

We seem to be narrowing in on March.

The thing is, I would like to camp at the lake and it might be too cold for that. I just have a truck with a camper shell.

My buddies want to stay in cheap hotels in Reno. I might relent...not sure yet.
Great thing about the weather here is you never know. Could be 80 in March, could be 3 degrees and snowing.
I would just urge reading up extensively on the regulations. Keep in mind its reservation land up there, like being in a whole different country. Youre not going to be able to just park your truck on any beach and sleep in the back.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk