Arizona in March?

seabassfly

Reaction score
Im going to arizona in march and Im wondering if it will be worth it to fish. Is there any trout that time year and what is the weather usually like?

Red Owl

Reaction score
I was there a year and a half ago in late April. I was in Show Low and it was snowing. Did Silver Creek and later went to the Little Colorado- still snowing. March...should be okay (I think). :cool:

rangerrich99

Reaction score
It's going to depend a bit. If you just want a chance at some stockers, there's the Salt River, and in March the air temp will probably be in the 60s to low 70s.

If we get any decent snowpack up north, the Agua Fria River might be running in March, which means stripers, white bass, hybrids, and carp are possible. Same temps.

After that, it gets a bit dicey. Most of the lakes and streams on the Mogollon Rim will likely either be frozen or going through early run-off (high, muddy water). Unless we have a very mild winter like two years ago.

Without being able to use my psychic powers to see the future (they're in the shop for repairs), my best advice is Lee's Ferry, Silver Creek and the Salt River. None of those freeze and there's always some fish in them. If we have a mild winter then you'll have at least a dozen other options in March.

AzTrouter

Reaction score
Silver Creek 2/17/18, lots more where that one came from haha.....it's clear cold and shallow during the winter and sight fishes like a mini tailwater or spring creek. Many come to Silver Creek, see many fish and skunk.

It's best fished daylight till 11am or 12am on the weekend, it gets kinda busy this time of year and best any weekday. I live pretty close so it's on my commute.

Some AZ folks bash on Silver Creek, but if you stay out of there when it's busy it's a very nice 'after work with a beer' bit of creek.

3/31 is the last of C&R, single barbless only and it gets stocked and weekends will be busy with little kids and big bobbers. That's OK, by then the mountains are ready for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

azflyrodder

Reaction score
I live in AZ, it's always worth it to fish! There will still be trout in most places in March, where do you plan on staying?