Ogden River, Utah 03-03-2018

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Fished the Ogden River for the first time in Saturday. I was on call for work so only fished from 10-1. I caught a couple on size 20 olive zebra midges to start. Then around noon an epic midge hatch started and the fish were feeding on top recklessly. I caught four on dry flies in an hour before I got a work call and had to go back to my truck. They were still hitting the surface when I had to leave. Caught em on midge dry flies I tied up and a couple of them on a size 18 BWO.

Definitely enjoyed myself but was unimpressed by the garbage and beer cans. Picked up what I could but it definitely needs some attention.

I made a video of the action here

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I want to thank you first for picking up what trash you could. It's a heart breaker going to a spot like that to enjoy the day and have trash laying around all over the place, so thank you.

On the brighter side of things, I liked your video, and I am impressed with your roll casting, well done. Also the fish were real pretty and plentiful so it seems. Glad you were able to catch a few.

And between us, I'm also glad to see you casting upstream. In my opinion, that's the proper way, but to each their own.

Great job.

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Well thanks I'm glad you liked it! The roll cast was my only option at that stretch, I spent the hour prior to the hatch tangled and losing like five flies in the trees haha. With a long enough leader the roll cast presents a dry fly well.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
That was impressive, I always like folks that take the time to pick up trash they see on the banks!
Awesome day on the water, congrats!

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Well thanks I'm glad you liked it! The roll cast was my only option at that stretch, I spent the hour prior to the hatch tangled and losing like five flies in the trees haha. With a long enough leader the roll cast presents a dry fly well.
What rod and line are you using in the video?

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Cabelas Three Forks 9ft 5wt. Rio Mainstream WF5W line. Nothing fancy. I'm gonna try to save for a better rod next year on my birthday.

MarsB

Reaction score
Good on ya. I try and pick up trash every time I fish the Ogden Canyon, it's my backyard run. It is disheartening how much trash people throw from their cars into the river.

darkshadow

Reaction score
Pretty cool seeing housing and joggers as you fish.

In SoCal, if you see a jogger or a house, you can be assured there is no fish in that stretch.

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Gotta love Utah. Even our most polluted river (Jordan River) holds fish in most areas. Mostly carp and suckers but some parts have Walleye and Cutthroat trout. A guy on another forum even pulled a smallmouth bass out of the ol' JR!