Two days on the Green, mid-May

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Another trip to Salt Lake City for business meant another chance to add a couple days vacations and hit up my old friend, the Green. I first fished it 20 years ago. And it was a trip 4 years ago that inspired time to finally join this forum. Lots of great memories on this river and the surroundings.

I got to the place where legends roamed. This is Del Canty’s record rainbow trout (39.5” as I measured it) and I think Joe Butler’s record brown. Same length.

Stopping to pay homage to the reservoir was the first order of business the next morning.

I arrived the evening previous and went to check the river before eating and settling in. It’s been bumped up to 4500 cfs from last weeks 1200-2500 to help Razorback Suckers spawn downstream. Hey, they were here first and fair’s fair. Some of the anglers were coming in grumbled. The guides were saying things like: “At least you got a fish!” Oh boy... this could be tough. At breakfast the next morning, talk around the diner wasn’t inspiring. One guy claimed his guide assured him one fish every 3 hours was average (!) Others were talking about the river being “all tore up.” After lots of coffee and oatmeal, I made tracks to the river and started upstream with magpies and redwing blackbirds calling their greetings.

The water was flowing fast and high, but fish were around and eating Baetis and midges. I went to work with nymphs and got a few of these and lost a couple of good browns because I suck.

I had some come up to inspect a Chernobyl ant, but none ate, despite there being lots of these all over the place.

They were into little nymphs and that’s fine by me. Next day (today), it was another story completely. There were trout rising in most quiet water spots and even the deeper, swift pools after about 11:00. Oh sure, I caught a bunch on nymphs too from 8:30 on.

But it wasn’t long before I had to experiment with terrestrials. Watching a fish casually swim up and suck in a big foam fly makes me feel all kinds of happy. One fish ate a tan Chernobyl.

Others firmly declined it, making me run through the battalions of beetles, hoppers, cicadas, and ants. AH-HA! The ant! That’s the ticket! All inhaled it without hesitation.

It was interesting to me because there’s a few cicadas around, but the fish definitely aren’t clued into them yet.

A few more fish on nymphs rounded out the day before I had to head back to SLC to catch a 6:20 am flight tomorrow. I’ll be thinking about the pair of otters I saw. And the osprey, the great blue heron that a rafting guide assured his clients was “an American Bald Eagle,” the marmot, and all the insects and flowers.

One of my favorite places on earth.

Now I will hide out at home over the holiday and start planning for my next trip to this corner of the planet. And dream of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the weather. It was warm the first day and hot the second.

I’m not sure if that had anything to do with the up-tick in surface feeding. Some of the fish I landed had midge pupae in their gullets, but I didn’t get any photos. The beadhead pheasant tail in #18 did best overall for me.

And for crying out LOUD people...LOOK before you wade in. There were fish all along the sides, but I saw a few people go bulldozing on in anyway. Take your time and explore!
Another thing I observed is that despite the fair number of drift boats, every single one without exception made sure to move away from me, and the few other anglers I saw, well upstream and gave a friendly wave. Considering some of the horror stories I read about online, I have to give the guys I saw this week thumbs up and respect.

Some more images to capture the vibe of the trip.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad I waited for the second round of pictures to be posted before taking a look. I don't know where to start as far as making a comment, should it be when you said that people gotta look before they wade in? That sounds like a good place to start, then there's the fly box selection! Never have I been that prepared to fish anywhere, then there's the mention of the Magpies and Red Wings. There are no Red Wings here and they are missed, Otter pictures oh yeah you put this together better than a video could have done it for me. Then top it off with all the photos of fish and the landscapes.

That one was well done and was as informative as I could hope for, beautiful place.

Ard

karstopo

Reaction score
I’ve been treated to Mr. Bagel’s forum posts for many years. I can’t think of another poster that I’d rather see a trip report from and he keeps raising the bar.

cpiercem

Reaction score
Outstanding post, pictures, and fish! Loved it. Thank you for taking the time to share your adventure with us.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Pssst. Hey, Ard. The fly images are from the shop. My boxes are far less organized and pretty. But I always enjoy browsing local shops to see what new patterns I might try to crudely duplicate.

$6.99 for a Morrish Mouse?!

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Appreciate the thought but I never buy flies. I’m all about the home brew.

Here’s the main selection of flies I relied on this trip. Also had a box of streamers that didn’t see any use unfortunately.

Last edited:

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I see they’ve upped the discharge to 7000 cfs as of yesterday (29th). Today it’s around 5800.
Should make for some interesting conditions for anybody heading out this weekend.

jimbaker488

Reaction score
Hey man looks like you are flying out of Bush on a United RJ ?
I fly into SLC every Fall and leave out of Hobby on a Southwest 737 and get those 2 free bags for my suitcase with cloths & waders and second free bag for my rod case.
Those are beauiful pics - congrats on what looks like a great trip out west and fishing on the Green.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Yeah. Straight outta Bush. Doing it all over again in a couple of days and I see flows are falling again back to more normal numbers. Good timing too considering we’re pushing 100 degrees here! The redfish will have to wait a bit longer. 2018 is shaping up to be a good year.