Wading the Green River below Flaming Gorge

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Some buddies and I took a quick overnight trip to fish the Green River below Flaming Gorge. 2/3 of us had never been to this mighty river and I think we did pretty well considering we were fishing a river best fished from a boat.

It was a great day and I am sure to see this beautiful place again soon!!

I caught all my fish on different zebra midges, which shouldn’t come as much of a surprise.

Take a few minutes to check out the action here:

YouTube

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Yeah it was do or die for one last overnight trip this year. Was very cold overnight. Thanks for watching!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome work to on the video, thanks for sharing!
I had a good laugh when I saw you were fishing right below the boat ramp. I hope you guys explored some of the water up the walking trail, I was hunk it is 7-8 miles back up to th dam, lots of awesome water to explore.

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Haha yes we did hit those ramps after we came back down to the parking area for lunch. The two good browns were from about a mile upstream of the ramps.

There is so much good looking water it’s overwhelming, and not being on a boat to hit those good looking pieces was heartbreaking.

I loved everything about that quick trip and will be making that an annual trip.

Thanks for watching Larry!

myt1

Reaction score
There is so much good looking water it’s overwhelming, and not being on a boat to hit those good looking pieces was heartbreaking.
I couldn't agree more with the above statement.

It seems the majority of the good water is toward the center of the river. If you are on shore wading you routinely have to cast over thirty feet of weeds just to get to open water and the really good water is significantly past that.

And forget about having room for a decent back cast.

This is definitely a river for a boat.

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Some guy on another forum loves to disagree with me and thought I was foolish for saying it’s best fished from a boat. Then proceeded to say the only advantage to a boat is covering more water haha

kevind62

Reaction score
As Larry stated, it's a good hike between the launches. There's a lot of great water. I've both waded and floated the section below the dam. Lots of fun and beautiful scenery to boot.

kevind62

Reaction score
As Larry stated, it's a good hike between the launches. There's a lot of great water. I've both waded and floated the section below the dam. Lots of fun and beautiful scenery to boot.