Last Chance Apache

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Cold temps are coming to the arizona high country. I had a chance to fish a few days before it gets too cold for my old bones. The bluebird weather was awesome even though it snowed the night before I got there. I saw elk and a bald eagle on the river. Lots of stocked apaches caught and released but no wild ones to be found.

I fished my two favorite headwaters for nary a trout. Not even a rise or a flash. So I went below the native fish barriers where I hiked a section of stream in search of wild browns. Nada.

I headed downstream to bigger water where the put and take stockings have ended for the year thinking maybe there's a few leftover apache's. There weren't. But further down from the popular stocking spots I finally found them in a stretch of the river proper where I caught over a dozen in a great afternoon of fishing.

I fished my circa 379 the entire trip. It casts a dry dropper so nice as long as the dropper is a soft hackle. As soon as I put a bead head dropper on it becomes a little finicky.

On the way home I stopped at ditch creek near town where large trout are stocked for catch and release this time of year. With less than a couple hours of sun left and a full parking lot I decided not to hike to the upper section. So I took my rigged circa to a spot on the creek near the parking lot and see rising fish everywhere. I put on an ehc and catch several nice apache and a fat 19" rainbow to finish my trip. The rainbow is the biggest fish caught on my circa and prolly will be for some time. Bent double it played a 6x tippet so well on those fish release was fast but muddy, as usual. I have a love hate relationship with that ditch for years. But this time dry fly fishing at sunset on the way home, I love that ditch.

Redbrook

Reaction score
Wow, that's the way to end the season! Great TR with wonderful pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

mka

Reaction score
That Circa looks like a bunch of fun...especially with those Apache Trout you were netting!!! Nice way to beat the cold, winter season with some fly fishing. Those Apache Trout are on my bucket list...

nikwho

Reaction score
I'm curious, is the fishing poor this time of year? Or is it just too uncomfortable for most? I've been thinking about a winter trip to this area.

Last edited:

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I'm curious, is the fishing poor this time of year? Or is it just too uncomfortable for most? I've been thinking about a winter trip to this area.
The wht mtns and the rim streams/lakes are all frozen now. Roads in are closed. Some lower lakes partially frozen would have poor fishing.

nikwho

Reaction score
The wht mtns and the rim streams/lakes are all frozen now. Roads in are closed. Some lower lakes partially frozen would have poor fishing.
Thank you, Steve!
I've never caught an Apache Trout and I'm quite anxious! My 6 year old son is trying to complete the "Trout challenge" & he still needs an Apache! Gonna be a long wait, waiting until spring. ?