December in southern and central Utah

herchammer

Reaction score
I'm going to have the opportunity to get up around the Sevier, and the East Fork of the Sevier, in about three weeks. I'm just wondering if midges and streamers are my best bet for that time of year, on that water? I'd appreciate your thoughts. I've been absent from these forums and from the stream for far too long, and I'm hoping that this trip will get me back to both!

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

cpiercem

Reaction score
Wish I could be more helpful, but I haven't been down on those streams for a couple of years. I also haven't fished them in November or December, but I have driven through that area in the winter. It can be very cold.

The streams you mentioned are at 7.5k to 6.5k. The closest town is Panquitch. Its low last night was 8 deg. and its high yesterday was 37 deg. You may be lucky to even find any of the streams open enough to fish.

If you do get open water then midges and streamers fished slow should work. If the area warms up a bit between now and then, small blue winged olives might also work. Those are just my guesses.

Good luck!

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
I elk hunt in that area, but somehow have never fished them. I’m jealous, let us know how it goes!!!

herchammer

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! I was wondering about the temps, and weather. I don’t mind the cold, but, will be mindful of the temps and keep the fish in the water for release, should I be fortunate enough to move any.

I’ll play it by ear and see what the weather is doing. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk