Provo River Midge Hatch 03/10/19

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Man it was on yesterday! Tried nymphs, and streamers before realizing they were only eating on top. Landed a dozen or more on size 18-20 midge patterns. Pattern was of less concern than size.

What I managed to capture on camera is below!!

YouTube

acorad

Reaction score
Nice job utb!

I did end up fishing the Provo last Thu, Fri, & Sat. During the blizzards and hail! :)

I stayed in the Lower, near Sundance.

The sun actually peeked out a couple times on Saturday, so I was able to get some on dries that day. The other two days were all tiny nymphs.

Beautiful river and beautiful fish!

Andy

Last edited:

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
Sure is an awesome place, I only fish the canyon every once in a while but have had major days down there as well!

acorad

Reaction score
Sure is an awesome place, I only fish the canyon every once in a while but have had major days down there as well!
Man I just re-watched your vid, you started off in short sleeves?!

Wow, I couldn't put enough layers on. The white blotches on the photo are marble-sized hail.

2019-3-14 Fishing Provo Utah.jpg

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
I run hot!! Haha I had my sleeves rolled up but would you believe I only had basketball shorts under my waders?! At 6’5” and 260lbs I have enough insulation already haha

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
The Midge Hatch is a 365 day a year thing. Fish get zoned in on that river usually Feb and March, but I was having success with Midge dries back in Dec.

Can’t wait for the big bugs to show up!

irideaduck

Reaction score
My goal for this year is to catch fish every month this year.

I hit the Weber on 03/12/19 and the fish were very active, much more than last month. My car said the outside temperature was 48 deg F when I parked it. Landed 29 fish in 2 hr and 15 minutes of on the water time, covered approximately 1/2 mile of river. Most fish were caught on a size 16 rainbow warrior tied on a jig hook. I was too lazy to tie on a dry fly so I just floated my nymphs through/pass the rising fish and still caught them.

acorad

Reaction score
Nice job irideaduck!

Early morning Saturday, 3/9, we tried the Weber. Stumbled on an access just outside/downstream of Wanship. But no rising fish, and no love.

So we hopped in the car and drove down to the Provo Canyon area where I had fished the previous two days, and the fish were a jumpin'!

Glad you got into them.

Andy

PS: I'm a Ducati guy, you too?

acorad

Reaction score
Excellent! I ride a Monster, I usually commute on it. I live in LA a mile or two from Mulholland Drive, and "The Snake" etc., out here in CA. Fun back roads and canyons, which Utah also has many, many, miles of.

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
So if the aim of this video was to get everyone and their brother out on the river, mission accomplished.

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
So if the aim of this video was to get everyone and their brother out on the river, mission accomplished.
Have you ever fished the Provo? It’s packed daily. It gets fished hard everyday. I can promise you whether I put a video on the internet or not, it’s going to be busy.

I was on a different stream today and was asked by other fishermen about the Provo, it is no secret spot haha

Lonnie Utah

Reaction score
Have you ever fished the Provo? It’s packed daily. It gets fished hard everyday. I can promise you whether I put a video on the internet or not, it’s going to be busy.

I was on a different stream today and was asked by other fishermen about the Provo, it is no secret spot haha
I was just being silly. Everyone was out enjoying the warm weather. I know the video had nothing to do with it. Just didn't want to start another thread saying "Man the lower was busy..." :D

I took the boy out of school early on Friday to see if we could catch the BWO hatch. We did, but were a bit late. We had one on early, lost him, and then they turned off. But we saw a bald eagle and that made the trip worth it...

utahtroutbum

Reaction score
I was just being silly. Everyone was out enjoying the warm weather. I know the video had nothing to do with it. Just didn't want to start another thread saying "Man the lower was busy..." :D

I took the boy out of school early on Friday to see if we could catch the BWO hatch. We did, but were a bit late. We had one on early, lost him, and then they turned off. But we saw a bald eagle and that made the trip worth it...
I’m pretty sure I understood what you meant the first time you silly goose! But, I rarely fish the lower Provo, I like it, but prefer the middle most days.