Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Green River Nymph Setup?

Headed over to the green river to fish the A, B and C sections below flaming gorge reservoir. Flows are at the minimum 800 CFS. Can someone tell me what a typical nymph rig looks like there?

Tippet size, bounce rig? or weight above the flies? Anything else I might need to know? I have never fished there.

Default Re: Green River Nymph Setup?

7x. 24-28 midges

3. Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

You didn't say exactly when you were headed to the Green, but this time of year you should run into some pretty nice BWO hatches, especially if you encounter overcast conditions and maybe a little rain. I'd be prepared for some awesome dry fly fishing.
    If you are set on nymphing, I do just fine there with size 20-22 midges or small nymphs I will use 5x to the first fly and 6x to the second. If I'm running droppers, I use 4x as the main line and then 5x to the first dropper and 6x to the second. I personally don't like to fish with a bounce rig, but if that is what you like, it is pretty effective. I wouldn't advise using a Thingamabobber down there, go with a yarn indicator or if your into Euro Nymphing that is even better.
    Larry

5. Likes cpiercem, Joey Bagels liked this post

"I wouldn't advise using a Thingamabobber down there, go with a yarn indicator or "

Could you explain why you say this, not questioning your knowledge trying to learn about nymphing as i'm determined to give it a go this year but know next to nothing about the various methods.

Iíd go with midges and BWO imitations. But donít leave the crane fly, San Juan, and scud patterns at home! Depending on weather, you might even see some ants and beetles, so best to be prepared just in case. Weight needs to constantly be adjusted so I use soft putty and a 5-6X tippet depending on fly size. Experiment throughout the day! Too many folks fish the same rig all day and canít understand why theyíre not catching as many as they think they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

Last time I was there I did very well with small tungsten head zebra midges as a dropper. Can't remember the dry I was using, but didn't matter, they hit the dropper every time.

Wow, that river has some of the deepest holes I have ever seen. lots of changing around to get things right as you move. We ended up fishing a lot more streamers than nymphs.

10. Likes Joey Bagels, k_e_v liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by durangobrad View Post
    Wow, that river has some of the deepest holes I have ever seen. lots of changing around to get things right as you move. We ended up fishing a lot more streamers than nymphs.

and................

12. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post