Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  37
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Green River Awesomeness!!

Hey Kev,

Just got back from the Green. What an amazing trip. The cicadas were still swarming so we fished big brown foams and the fishing was epic. I had a two hour float from Little Hole where I caught 20+ fish, none of which were smaller than 16". It got so ridiculous we were laughing. There were multiple points where I took a fish off, cast my fly, and within 1 second of the fly hitting the water I had another fish on. The lower part of A and B to about a mile past Red Creek was fishing like this. The fishing only got slow on the flats part of B when they had reduced flow at the dam and the trout seemed spooked. Below Jarvie Ranch it slowed considerably, mostly because of a howling wind, but several in our group landed 23"+ browns on the C. I had a big one on my line right near Cowboy -- burned my fingers when I tried to slow its run before I had him on the reel. Eventually, he snapped off the tippet when my stripped line wrapped around the seat in the wind and he bolted up stream. Darn line management! That Green is really a special place.
    Last edited by A8Bil; 07-19-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A8Bil View Post
    Hey Kev,

Just got back from the Green. What an amazing trip. The cicadas were still swarming so we fished big brown foams and the fishing was epic. I had a two hour float from Little Hole where I caught 20+ fish, none of which were smaller than 16". It got so ridiculous we were laughing. There were multiple points where I took a fish off, cast my fly, and within 1 second of the fly hitting the water I had another fish on. The lower part of A and B to about a mile past Red Creek was fishing like this. The fishing only got slow on the flats part of B when they had reduced flow at the dam and the trout seemed spooked. Below Jarvie Ranch it slowed considerably, mostly because of a howling wind, but several in our group landed 23"+ browns on the C. I had a big one on my line right near Cowboy -- burned my fingers when I tried to slow its run before I had him on the reel. Eventually, he snapped off the tippet when my stripped line wrapped around the seat in the wind and he bolted up stream. Darn line management! That Green is really a special place.
    A8, I am really happy for you. I have heard that the Green is as hot as can be lately, sounds like you hit it perfectly. I have yet to time the cicada hatch to my trips but I will try again next year.
    Thanks for the story,

Kev

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Awesome! I am super jealous. I have heard good things about Charlie, I am thinking about booking a day trip this fall with Spinner Fall.

5. Likes k_e_v liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teledan View Post
    Awesome! I am super jealous. I have heard good things about Charlie, I am thinking about booking a day trip this fall with Spinner Fall.
    Charlie is just the best. Everything about the experience was top notch. I have him booked again for October and can’t wait. Lots of great guides on the river but some guys and girls just set themselves apart. What I liked most about him was in the morning when we first met he had a preference of where to fish and upon asking what I preferred he did a total 360 and happily changed the trip to my preference. It was a longer day for him but had the best attitude all day long

Kev
    Last edited by k_e_v; 07-23-2019 at 07:16 PM.

Wife an I made our first trip and probably not the last to the Green the 26th of June. We got there right when they had dropped the flow levels and as the small Cicadas were there and the large Cicadas were just starting to show up. We stayed at Trout Creek Flies and booked our 1st ever paid guide trip with Boomer. Fishing was fantastic. Good enough we booked a trip again for the next day. Boomer said fishing was good but would get better. Sounds like you hit the "better" period. We threw Carl's Cicada(Boomers) the whole 2 days and never needed to change. Floated the A section both days with lots of fish all between 15-20". Next time we'll tyr the B section . And i'm sure there will be a next time! Checked that one off the bucket list we didn't even know was on it.

8. Likes k_e_v liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ruthead View Post
    Wife an I made our first trip and probably not the last to the Green the 26th of June. We got there right when they had dropped the flow levels and as the small Cicadas were there and the large Cicadas were just starting to show up. We stayed at Trout Creek Flies and booked our 1st ever paid guide trip with Boomer. Fishing was fantastic. Good enough we booked a trip again for the next day. Boomer said fishing was good but would get better. Sounds like you hit the "better" period. We threw Carl's Cicada(Boomers) the whole 2 days and never needed to change. Floated the A section both days with lots of fish all between 15-20". Next time we'll tyr the B section . And i'm sure there will be a next time! Checked that one off the bucket list we didn't even know was on it.
    While A is very picturesque, B is probably my favorite. My favorite stretch is Little Hole to teh bottom or Red Creek. C is slower, beautiful in its own right, but it is a real test of the fisherman.

Kev, I just got back from a trip to the green with Charlie. We booked him for an evening float on Wednesday and then a full day Thursday. We had an absolute blast! Probably a little late in the year for an evening float but Charlie still got us onto a few fish. Thursday was incredible! Charlie is amazing, I would highly recommend him. This was probably my favorite fish of the trip:

11. Likes k_e_v, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teledan View Post
    Kev, I just got back from a trip to the green with Charlie. We booked him for an evening float on Wednesday and then a full day Thursday. We had an absolute blast! Probably a little late in the year for an evening float but Charlie still got us onto a few fish. Thursday was incredible! Charlie is amazing, I would highly recommend him. This was probably my favorite fish of the trip:

Good to hear Dan, I fished with Charlie on last Tuesday and as always had a blast. He may or may not be the best guide on the river but for sure his wife makes the best streamside lunches on the Green

Kev

Oh man, the lunch we had was incredible!! BBQ pork shoulder sandwiches with pickled jalapeņos, salsa, pasta salad, brownies for dessert. It was unreal!

14. Likes k_e_v liked this post

Man that looks like a great trip. My father in law is a chiropractor, which has its perks, but isn't all it's cracked up to be (ba dum tiss). I'm going to need you to go ahead and adopt my wife, as I think I'd prefer the guided float trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12