Middle Provo, Ut

Joni

Reaction score
Headed to the middle this morning about 8:30. Headed to meet my brother in-law at his honey hole

Beautiful day even with temps at around 10 degrees. Got to the honey hole and fish rising all over, but couldn't buy a netting. A few long distance releases.

We then headed down stream to a spot we have had good luck on.

Guides started icing up so we headed home after a couple of hours.

Did manage to net four nice little brown:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Joni,

Nice pictures, glad to see someone is fishing. I'm tying flies and thinking about fishing. Going to spend a few days working on my motorcycle getting it ready for spring.

Ard

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Nice pics Joni. Might go hit the Weber tomorrow if the wife is up to it. :icon_smil

I looked at the rod your using at S.W. today (well not that very rod, but one like it. lol) Almost bought a little 7.5' 4 wt Griggs that was on sale for like $45.00 but decided to hold off......now I'm kinda wishin I would have brought it home.

Joni

Reaction score
Thanks all. fysh, that is my Boo. The pictures of my were by my brother.....he does good work

fyshstykr

Reaction score
:icon_redf oopsie!
I have a question for you as I'm still learnin the 'Boo' game. Do the colder temps effect the action any?

Joni

Reaction score
Not that I have noticed. I would think plastic would be more effected, not to mention glass.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Fiberglass. Hmmm......maybe you better go again tomorrow and experiment.
The research is never done ya know.

Pocono

Reaction score
"long distance releases"; l Iove that phrase! I promise that I will recycle it - often. No more break-offs for me from here on in.

I don't think that the temperatures that any of us normaly encounter in the Winter are low enough to make a difference in the performance/action of the rods we fish; whether they're graphite, composite or glass. For sure, there are cold temperatures that will cause tightness and even brittleness in these materials, but they're generally laboratory conditions. At normal temps; probably in the range of 0-100 degrees F, I don't think it will make much difference.

Cane rods could be a different story. If normal Winter temps do have an effect on rod performance, it would probably be with cane rods at temps below 32 degrees F (the freezing point of freshwater), since it's impossible to remove all of the moisture from wood. And when the water in wood freezes, it expands and we all know what that means. I would probably be inclined to err on the conservative side and not to fish a cane rod at temps below 32 F.

Great pics! This time of year, I would definitely be very, very happy with those Browns.

wtex50

Reaction score
Nice Pics Joni - I got cold just looking at them. What Boo were you using?

Pocono - I've never had a problem with Boo in cold weather....and have been fishing them for a long time...even down to 10 degrees like Joni's trip.....now me...that's a whole nuther thing - I froze my tukus off!!!!!!!!

Joni

Reaction score
Pocono...L.D.R. is a frequent term around here. It covers soooo much from the time you KNOW the fish is on the end of your line to the line breaking, hook breaking, or fish just throwing the hook.....you DID hook it, you just can get it close enough to net or land....SO, Long Distance Release = LDR....example: "I caught three LDRS" LOL

Now, as far as the boo, wtex50, it is a ZHU purchased off of e-bay. A 7'6" 5 weight with an extra tip. Poc, you know what I paid, so that tells you why I am using it, plus it feels so dang good! When my custom is finished, it won't be a cold weather friend, but ol ZHU is still there....or the Lami....LOL

FISHN50

Reaction score
Joni
Nice pictures. Looks like you had a good day. What's the Boo stick you were using in the picture
Neil

Joni

Reaction score