Boulder Mountains

myt1

Reaction score
I was there last year about this time.

It looks like you caught larger Tigers than I did.

How were the roads?

I will still tell anyone who will listen, and some that won't, how bad the roads were getting back to some of those lakes.

I have desert pin-striping on the roof of my truck and camper cab, because of the low clearance getting under some partially fallen trees.

Last year someone on this website told be to bring a chainsaw. I thought they were nuts, but in hindsight it would've been good insurance.

Thanks for the pictures.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I was there last year about this time.

It looks like you caught larger Tigers than I did.

How were the roads?

I will still tell anyone who will listen, and some that won't, how bad the roads were getting back to some of those lakes.

I have desert pin-striping on the roof of my truck and camper cab, because of the low clearance getting under some partially fallen trees.

Last year someone on this website told be to bring a chainsaw. I thought they were nuts, but in hindsight it would've been good insurance.

Thanks for the pictures.
myt1,
I can assure you, after having grown up in AZ, and traversing the Mogollon Rim, Flag/Williams, Crown King,Cleator, Prescott/Sedona backcountry- way back before the current "improved" accesses...and then having been positioned in and out of Colorado since 1985....that for Colorado, Boulder, the Canyon, and the Flat tops, are very "mild" when compared with other roads, passes, and trails here. There are several locations to fish that are accessible by only highly modified 4 wheel drive vehicles and require extreme clearance, and very experienced off road driving skills. Lockers, Winches, on-board air compressors for airing down tires, on board welders for trail breakages, are all part of "VDL" (vehicle damage likely) trails. Multi rig leapfrogging, spotters walking alongside vehicles, old stage coach roads with 7' passable width and 9000' cliff drop offs, and winching through, over, and around, obstacles are commonplace. I have been on a few trails that literally caused dizziness and made my behind pucker enough that I seriously considered leaving the vehicle and walking out. It is not for the faint of heart, nor for me any longer at this life stage for that matter. But trust me....by comparison, the stuff around Boulder, is dirt highway for Colorado.

Here are a couple mild (really- not the super hairy trails) examples - check out around 12:40 on this one for reaching the water:

YouTube

Check out around 12:50 on this one:

YouTube

Watch from about 5:17 on this one:

YouTube

This one follows the water:

YouTube

Last edited:

southwestangler

Reaction score
The roads are not bad to most of the lakes. I use a Polaris Razor to get around, so it makes the roughest roads seem smooth. I would have to agree with cooutlaws post above.