Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Default The Idiocy of It All

I rarely get political, and I realize the internet isn't for it, but party lines aside...
    Came across this from Mono County. The East Walker right now is flowing at a disastrous 18.8CFM. The minimum federal mandated flow is 20...
    What's going on right now is a disaster. Thankfully it's the winter and water temps are low, but regardless, the state right now should be closing the river, reviewing management practices and losing funding...
    Instead they are actually trying to promote fishing while the fish are barely holding on to dear life.
    I haven't posted in a while due to life being so busy. But this really struck a nerve. I love this little river. And clients and friends wonder why I live across the border and absolutely refuse to cross it for either business or pleasure when it comes to the outdoors? Mono County absolutely needs to be called out for this...
    The East Walker River is flowing nicely... - Mono County Tourism - California's Eastern Sierra

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes djfan, myt1 liked this post

Default Re: The Idiocy of It All

Flowing nicely? Jeez, that's hardly a trickle... It's a wonder any fish can actually live in that. Add on fishing pressure and that can not end well. California seems to be going off the deep end in every direction.
    Danny

4. Likes dennyk, djfan, myt1, bigjim5589 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    Flowing nicely? Jeez, that's hardly a trickle... It's a wonder any fish can actually live in that. Add on fishing pressure and that can not end well. California seems to be going off the deep end in every direction.
    Well, that began a long time ago...

That's really sad nevadanstig.

It reminds me of the late 1980's when my state of Wisconsin went through a 5 year period of drought. During the final 2 drought years, the trout were really stressed and waters were both low and warming by mid summer. Our chapter of TU and the State Council of TU petitioned the DNR to close the trout season during year 3/4. The Federation of Fly Fisher chapter (Badger Fly Fishers) did not. I was really disappointed in FFF and dropped my membership.

Finally, the state did close the trout season in our county for one year and then made all our county's trout waters C&R for the next year. Then the drought ended the following year. Because of the closure, the fish that did survive were much larger and that season was awesome until the trout were harvested :^((
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes cpiercem liked this post

I remember, not too long ago, when several waters on the East Side, including the EWR were NOT open to year round fishing. It has been one of my favorite rivers since I first started fly fishing there in 1974. I have seen the EWR devastated by de-watering Bridgeport Res. in the late 80's which killed every fish in the river.

East Walker River, One of West'''s Top Trout Streams, Drought Victim - Los Angeles Times

I remember the recent drought which pretty much turned the EWR into a mud hole clogged with moss until the Winter of 2017. It has just begun to recover...

Social Media has put way too many bozos on East Side waters that should not have to suffer the pounding that they do during the Winter months. I don't fish the EWR after the end of October and until the beginning of May. Because of the low Winter flows, the fish congregate in the limited deeper pools and repeated drifts will eventually yield a fish whether they struck an offering for feeding, out of territorial instinct or snagging.The DFG has come up with new proposed regulations for the 2020 season which may be viewed at the link below. Judge for yourself:

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=175721&inline

This gives historical context to the flows on the EWR since 1921:

USGS Surface Water data for California: USGS Daily Statistics

Glad I will have these memories...

PT/TB
    Last edited by planettrout; 01-12-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Apparently, 18 CFS is the historic median for this time of year. I'm wondering if the excerpt below describes their decision model:

"... the Board considered the impact of the [Bridgeport] reservoir level on water quality parameters, particularly turbidity, dissolved oxygen, and temperature during water releases. The Board determined that releasing water when the reservoir fell below a minimum pool of 600 acre feet risked exposing downstream fish to toxic conditions, which therefore required the pool be kept above that level. While the Board likely could apply such requirements under its broad public trust authority, instead it chose to rely exclusively on 5937. Under the Water Board’s interpretation, 5937 is malleable enough to require maintenance of a reservoir above a particular water level. This requirement, coupled with continued water release requirements, could change the water management approach for the reservoir by necessitating additional winter storage and a slower rate of release during particular portions of the year. Such a reading of 5937 is more aggressive than any court has undertaken. "

Page 876 at https://lawreview.law.ucdavis.edu/is.../45-3_Bork.pdf