Green River Fishing 2009

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Just got back from our trip over to the Green River. We had a great time fishing the "A" section, next trip will have to be an over nighter camping on the "B" section.....I'll just have to get up the nerve to try Red Creek Rapids first. On the "A" section the Mother-in-Law rapid seemed to be the one that got the hair on the back of my neck standing up but we made it thru ok. We did a float with Trout Creek Flies on Thursday and then fished on our own the rest of the time. The guide was a guy named James who uses the Polish nymphing technique and boy does he now how to put you on fish. After an hour or so you just can't comprehend how many fish you boated, probably somewhere in the 40-50 fish range between the two of us. Needless to say we were all smiles. Here are some pictures of the trip.

Larry

Attachments

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Larry,

I checked out all the pics. Looks like a good time was had by all. I especially liked the way the weather looks down there! Things are warming up here. I have a piece of work that I must finish before I start fishing for the season but I expect to be done by the third of May. Then the flies will be flying. I'm going to do a little rainbow fishing to get things started.

You guys caught some nice browns by the looks of the pics. I miss browns.

Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
jdorsey61: Mother-in-Law starts with a left hand turn and then does a hard right hand turn up against a rock wall. When you first look at it, it looks pretty terrifying, but by taking the middle on the first turn and rowing hard away from the wall it isn't that hard of a rapid, just looks bad.

Bear: Thanks, just wish I lived a litttle closer, it is a little over four hours driving. Sure is amasing how the guides can put you on fish. The rest of the time there we didn't do nearly as well but we still caught our fair share of fish and had a great time, but then if I fished a stream every day I could probably figure out the honey holes myself.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Ard: We got there in the afternoon on Wed and the wx was great, we fished on our own for a couple hours and only caught one fish as I remember, but with the warm wx it didn't really matter, we just enjoyed being outside on the river. Thur we did the guided float and the wx again was great. At one point in the afternoon the wind really started blowing and it tried pushing us into the rocks, the guide worked his butt off rowing against that gale, but it only lasted 5 minutes. Yes the river has a mixture of rainbows, cut bows and browns. They say the rainbows and cutbows are mostly on the upper portions of the river and the browns on the lower section. The "A" section float is 7 miles. The interesting part was that the guide knew the river so well he didn't even want us to fish the first mile or so. He knew where the honey holes where and wanted to be on those spots at a particular time. Fri a front was starting to come thru and then Fri night it snowed up at Flaming Gorge Lodge where we were staying, we fiddled around and didn't get down to the river until 10 am but it didn't look like it snowed down there, we only fished a couple of hours down at the take out at Little Hole but still landed three fish and lost a couple others. The drive home was uneventful until we approached Rawlins, WY and hit a hail storm, where we bailed off the freeway to let that pass and then as we approached Elk Mtn the wx looked really bad, but as we crossed the mtn it wasn't bad except the wind had to be blowing 50 mph or better. About 20 miles from home I looked back and noticed that the cover on the boat had exploded, the whole back end had broke loose from the boat. This winter I took it over to a tent and tarp place to patch the holes from last season and was hoping it would last but the material was getting pretty thin. So now I need to buy a new boat cover. We woke up this morning to another snow storm, we have about 3 inches of snow in the yard. Maybe summer will get here someday!

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dorian: Sorry it didn't work out for you, we sure wish you could have been there with us fishing. You would have had a blast. That part of UT is really pretty and with the help of the guide the fishing can be awesome. We did see a number of folks going down the river in pontoon boats so you could do it with your poon, but I would suggest going down with a guide once so you can see the correct way to navigate through the rapids. There are some spots down there that you need to careful with. The guide said they lose 10-20 boats on that river every year, mostly from people not knowing how to navigate through the rapids correctly. Once you have seen each rapid and know the correct path through it's not that bad. We did OK fishing on our own but nothing like when we were fishing with the guide. The river has a lot of moss just like the Grey Reef, so the way he combats the moss is to put the weights is at the very bottom of the setup, that way the weight is dragging through the moss not the hooks.

Larry

yatahey

Reaction score
Color me green with envy.,
Looks like you all had a great trip. Yeh!!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yat: Thanks, yes we had a great fishing trip and I got to learn a little bit about rowing that river and how it fishes in the spring. Definitely a beautiful location.

Fysh: Thanks for the well wishes. Yes, we did get a great break in the wx, the cold front didn't hit until Friday night, snowed up at the motel but didn't look like it snowed on the river, but then we didn't get down there very early on Sat morning, we only fished a couple of hours at Little Hole (as it was pretty cold) and then headed home. Looks like I'm going to have to get a new boat cover sooner than I had planned. Here are a coupld pics of what it looks like after going over Elk Mtn yesterday in the wind storm.

Larry

Attachments