Pyramid today thought I would post a few pics

digger0040

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I got a chance to get out to Pyramid for a few hours today. I hit the water at 8 and left at 11. I was able to manage 3 fish, all of the fish came within a half hour of eachother. It was pretty cloudy most of the time I was there but the sun broke through at about 10 and thats when the fun began. Here are pics of the two biggest.

Joni

Reaction score
NICE! I have some friends that do the Pyramid thing quite often. I am going to do it some day! I swear. Those Lahontan cutts are awesome. They always pull out at least 6 lbers!

digger0040

Reaction score
I'm very new to Pyramid myself but it has fast become my favorite local place to fish. I am pretty lucky, I get to fish it at least once a week now. Hopefully I will be able to post more pics soon. I am going to give the Truckee River a try this weekend also. I have not been as lucky on the Truckee.

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
The Truckee is a tough river to fish for sure but once you put your dues in it can be very rewarding. Some huge fish have come out lately. I use to fish Pyramid when I first came out here but have found more fun and cheaper places to fish. To me the cutts up there fight like logs so I don't care to go up there but if anyone came to town that had a hankering to buy the extra tag to go up there I would go.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Pyramid is on the list to try this Spring... I hear February/March is when it gets really good from shore... nice catch btw...

webrx

Reaction score
Nice fish digger! Pyramid is on my list this year as well, only because I have seen pics of some large cutts, and I live here and have not tried it yet.

I do fly fish on Davis and Frenchman's though, which is why I buy a CA license, and I fish quite a bit on the Truckee. Like Packfancjh says, the Truckee is tough, but you can get fish on it and some nice large ones that fight well.

Perhaps all us locals can get together one day for a pyramid run and then again for a Truckee run, maybe we can teach each other a little of what we know about each location.

d

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Well it won't be me doing the teaching :D FF noobie here... haven't even had a chance to get the line wet. I was hoping to get up to the Truckee around Boom town to try it out on Friday, but this storm isn't helping my cause...

Joni

Reaction score
SOME DAY....I would love to hit Pyramid. I would even go buy a special ladder!

Joni

Reaction score
Joni if you come to town for Pyramid hit me up. I have an extra ladder for ya.
Right On! Thanks. would like to shoot for it next year when all the remodeling is done and we get settled in. Not just the cost of the remodeling, but we got to buy all the furniture again too.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Pyramid is a great winter fishery! I love the quiet, the light, and the fish too!
Had a old local tell me you can't talk about a fish under 10lbs.
Tells you a lot about locals, and the fishery. I have fled cold conditions in Truckee, to find it's even colder down there. In March you dress up like the Michelin Man, and strip streamers till you slice all your fingers. Frozen feet, eyes tearing from the wind, (and then freezing) arm lagging from multitudes of double hauls and then..... Just as you think it's the battiest thing you've ever done, you glance down to see a 2-3ft shadow following your fly. Concentration quickly returns.
When you land a big dog, and lip them, they'll draw blood with their puppy teeth.
You gotta love trout with teeth!
If you and Mojo have a camper, I recommend staying out there for a few days.
I have to agree with the tribe, it's a power place. Great place to recharge your batteries.
Good luck on the remodel/redecorate, it is a true test of a relationship.
Jim