Middle Provo River - 09/06/12

stenacron

Reaction score
Got out to the middle Provo River near Midway, UT Thursday afternoon/evening... conditions were very good and the fish did not disappoint. Overcast skies, mid/upper 70's, breezy (blustery at times), and terrific water levels (286 CFS) produced a cool little "party mix" of mayflies and had the trout looking up all afternoon. Put 21 in the net, missed/lost another dozen or so, and all on the same fly (and it's still hanging on my drying patch).

A few pic's...

Overcast skies were the rule of the day.

Best fish of the night... a tic shy of 18 inches.

Smallest fish of the night... maybe ever! All creatures great and small though.

The beautiful cliff pool... pictures do not do it justice.

Couple more in the 14-15 inch range.

Threatening skies finally dragged off to the east, leaving a double rainbow in their wake.

Tonight's killer - #14 Partridge & Yellow. The larger fish took it on the dead drift just as it started to cross, and the smaller fella's grabbed it at the end of the swing.

And as Judas Priest once sang, "In the last rays... of the setting sun."

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Good to see the river fishing well, we'll be on that same section next Sunday morning with the gals from the 'CFR' retreat.:)

mojo

Reaction score
The pool below the cliff is my favorite spot to fish. Caught a lot using purple WD 40's.

stenacron

Reaction score
steno, did you hit any of my suggestions this summer?
I haven't (unfortunately), yet.

It was a largely fishless summer for me outside of handful of trips. It seemed like that part of the state was on fire for two months in a row. Too much work, and too much running around getting my daughter set for college...

Maybe now is the time though to check those spots out.

boowill

Reaction score
Nice report. The middle is on fire right now. JUJU baetis and a bwo barrs is also killing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mysticm

Reaction score
Terrific job on the soft hackle...you inspired me to tie some for my upcoming trip this week-end. Your smallest fish would fall in the upper 1/3rd for the length distribution of the fish population on some of the smaller streams I like to frequent. Although, I can imagine that fishing a large river like the Provo is great fun.