Late Dec trip in AZ : Lees Ferry or White Mountains?

flycaster99

Reaction score
Hi, Looks like I may have 2 to 3 days to fish in AZ a week before Christmas. I'm down to choosing between Lees Ferry and the White Mountains. Can anyone advise which location would be more productive that time of the year? Thanks.

swampdonkey

Reaction score
I imagine someone local will comment but I think your going to be pretty limited on options in the White's. I've skied there right around new years so I imagine the reservoirs are froze solid by Christmas.

I would check out Cliff Dwellers Lodge for the fishing report:

Cliff Dwellers Lodge Homepage

Both are very cool places to fish but I would go to the Ferry hands down if I was just looking for quantity. The river is a constant 48 degrees year round so it fishes well irregardless of the season.

darwin

Reaction score
Many of the White Mountain lakes will be frozen over and the roads closed, I would go to Lee's Ferry. (Not sure about all of them)

jmac321

Reaction score
I'd hit Lee's Ferry. White mountains will be frozen or roads closed to many of the lakes. It's snowing there right now. Big storm hit last friday dumped 2+ inches of rain in PHX and its been snowing on the rim.:icon_smil

mudbug

Reaction score
One option in the Whites would be Silver Creek. It's spring fed so it doesn't freeze over. It's all stockers instead of wild fish like Lee's Ferry but they are HUGE fish.

flycaster99

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise. I think I'll focus on Lees Ferry. Nevertheless, on the drive back from Lees Ferry back to Phoenix, I might just take a long detour to Silver Creek and spend a few hours there... Can you advise would the nymph and midge patterns that works at Lees Ferry be effective in Silver Creek too? If not, what are the fly patterns that I should have?

Thanks again!

flycaster99

Reaction score
I did eventually made it to Lee's Ferry on 19th Dec. What a spectacular sight! The Rainbows were not big but they made up for it in numbers. I stopped counting after twenty and I think I might have landed 40 that day on scads and nymph. I drove to Silver creek the next day but was rather disappointed though.

Here are some photos and video from Lee's Ferry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbK_QpUKqMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faizmH_f4Uk

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Yea, az is beautiful but whacky. Small gorgeous fish in a great big beautiful river and a bunch of big old brood stock in a tiny muddy ditch. Glad you got to see both.

flycaster99

Reaction score
....... and a bunch of big old brood stock in a tiny muddy ditch....
Best description of Silver Creek AZ I've heard so far! :)

I tried to access a few of the lakes and streams too in the White Mountains area but most of them were frozen while I was there. Perhaps I should return in the fall for a clearer stream with higher CFS....