Weber River - UT

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Been getting a couple of times a week to the Weber River just outside of Ogden UT. The water has been high, dirty, lots of debris and I have been having an absolute blast! This past weekend I fished on Friday, caught 5 fish in about 3hrs. Went back on Sunday morning and got 4 in about 2hrs. The below images are from Sunday morning...

Going to miss these conditions!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats on the great fishing during spring runoff, that river sure looks high and off color, be safe out there, too many people drowning on the Utah rivers lately.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
The Weber continues to produce!

On Sat. I had some "chores" to do for the wifey, one of which was to get a truck bed full of river rock for some landscaping. I told her rather than going and buying a bed full, I could go find some spots and fill the truck up my self. So I loaded up my fishing gear and leather gloves and headed out. Found a couple good spots with rocks piled up already so it made it pretty easy and quick, which left me with a an hour or two to fish.

First stop for fishing I tried a lower spot on the river, but to my surprise the water level was LOW, found out I was in a section of river that pulls a lot of water for irrigation. After a few unsuccessful casts I got back in the truck and moved up river about 15 miles. Had some success and got 2 fish in about 2hrs then I moved again to a new spot I had not been to before, but it looked fishy. So I rigged up and found a nice spot behind a tree and threw my line in the water, but then I glanced up river and saw about 4 boats, (kayaks, rafts, etc) headed toward me, so I picked up my line and waited for them to pass, the first guy went by and we exchanged "HELLO's!" and waves, second guy went by and was friendly, then the third guy came crashing through the tree I was standing behind and must of startled him a little, as he looked up and saw me and said "OH sorry!", "NO worries, I saw you coming" I said, then he looked somewhat annoyed and said "maybe you shouldn't be standing right behind a tree where people can't see you" I just laughed and said "maybe you shouldn't crash through the trees in a rubber tube" at which point I flicked my streamer back out into the water and started to pull some line out, as I did so my streamer was starting to sink and catch the current, and BAM! A nice Brown slammed my streamer, I quickly set the hook and gave a holler, the guy was still mouthing something to me and I just looked at him with my rod bent and line tight, gave him a smile and started to reel in my bounty.

A few pics of the day...

smoothie

Reaction score
The Weber continues to produce!

On Sat. I had some "chores" to do for the wifey, one of which was to get a truck bed full of river rock for some landscaping. I told her rather than going and buying a bed full, I could go find some spots and fill the truck up my self. So I loaded up my fishing gear and leather gloves and headed out. Found a couple good spots with rocks piled up already so it made it pretty easy and quick, which left me with a an hour or two to fish.

First stop for fishing I tried a lower spot on the river, but to my surprise the water level was LOW, found out I was in a section of river that pulls a lot of water for irrigation. After a few unsuccessful casts I got back in the truck and moved up river about 15 miles. Had some success and got 2 fish in about 2hrs then I moved again to a new spot I had not been to before, but it looked fishy. So I rigged up and found a nice spot behind a tree and threw my line in the water, but then I glanced up river and saw about 4 boats, (kayaks, rafts, etc) headed toward me, so I picked up my line and waited for them to pass, the first guy went by and we exchanged "HELLO's!" and waves, second guy went by and was friendly, then the third guy came crashing through the tree I was standing behind and must of startled him a little, as he looked up and saw me and said "OH sorry!", "NO worries, I saw you coming" I said, then he looked somewhat annoyed and said "maybe you shouldn't be standing right behind a tree where people can't see you" I just laughed and said "maybe you shouldn't crash through the trees in a rubber tube" at which point I flicked my streamer back out into the water and started to pull some line out, as I did so my streamer was starting to sink and catch the current, and BAM! A nice Brown slammed my streamer, I quickly set the hook and gave a holler, the guy was still mouthing something to me and I just looked at him with my rod bent and line tight, gave him a smile and started to reel in my bounty.

A few pics of the day...

Nice job! There are a lot of moron tubers on the Weber and the Provo during summer time. Pretty sweet that you hooked a nice one in front of him.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Figured I would update this as I have been getting back on the Weber throwing hoppers. Too much fun!

Also, got all the below on my new Jefferson Rod Co. 3wght rod. The big brown felt like a tank on the end of the rod... The rod is amazing, pretty impressed with how much line I can still throw and the delicate presentation when needed. The action of the rod is just a pleasure, or as Keith the builder described it as "groovy" which I would totally agree with...

[/IMG]

Last edited:

flyminded

Reaction score
Tell us more about that 3wt please - what size hopper are you throwing with it ? With or without a dropper ?

Nice fishes.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
Got another couple days of fishing in over the long weekend. On Friday I had the best luck, started fishing about 6:30pm so only a few hours to hit the river hard. I was sticking to my ways, using a foam hopper without a dropper. Got this guy on my 3wght Jefferson Rod Co. I believe this was a fish I missed the week before, same exact spot and from what I could tell seemed like the same fish. But, the week before I caught this guy on a hopper and as soon as I set the hook he ran down river towards a plunge pool and dove off it as fast as he could, I had a little equipment malfunction that caused him to snap off. My line got stuck in the guides as I had pulled in all floating line and was right where it connects to my leader and when the fish jumped into the pool I had no chance to let any slack out, so SNAP! This time though, I knew his game, so as soon as I saw him running down river towards the center plunge pool again, I started running on the side of the river holding my rod over the willows and branches as I went. I got to a nice calm spot of water and reengaged in reeling him in, on a 3wght this fish was a TANK! Got him landed, hurried and snapped a quick pic and let him rest while I held him in a slow current, once he had his strength back he gave me quick tail splash and disappeared into the depths... I was able to hold him up from the tip of fingers to the middle of my bicep, so a good 21-23 inch brown. Personal best on a dry fly... I will post a review of this rod in the Rods section for anyone curious about Jefferson Rods. ( I have a 3wght and 6wght from them :D)