Glacier Np

bryan17

Reaction score
Next week I'll be taking a roadtrip to western Mt. My friend and I will be wade fishing the Big Hole, Bitterroot, and spending several days in Glacier National Park. I think I've got an idea of how to tackle the two rivers but am totally new to the lake fishing we will be doing in the park. If anyone has any advice, patterns, or suggestions that might be helpful please let me know! We plan on nymphing the rivers and maybe throwing some foam. As of right now I'm planning on stripping some damsels and casting some adams to the lake fish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bryan
I have driven thru Glacier, but never fished there so I can't really help much, your idea of using stripping some damsels and casting some adams sounds good to me. You should run into Calibaetis so a good sized adams would be a good pattern, maybe add in some rusty spinners.
On the rivers, you should also consider dry fly fishing this time of year, I'd check the fly shops in the area and see what they recommend, maybe buying a few flies for their advice.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I have probably fished glacier 100 times. Your fly selection depends more about how far you hike than on which lake you fish. For the most part, if you hike more than 5 miles round trip, it won't matter which dry fly you throw because quite frankly, very few people fish Glacier. I would recommend that you stick to the basics. Mayfly, caddis and a smaller stimi. Mcdonald lake has some fsih, but since the walk up traffic pounds it with lures all summer it becomes tough to fish from shore with a fly.

woodpaddler

Reaction score
Bowman lake if you have a kayak and stream coming out. At the turn off to Polebridge rivers come together and wade from there. Also at the ranger office at just pass Polebridge you can get to river and a couple small stream along the road to Bowman lake.