Truckee River stocking

webrx

Reaction score
News says they are going to stock almost 8k TRBs today in the truckee, not sure where, and would not publicly post if I knew, but thought the reno/sparks/etc folks might like to know in case they can get off work early or take tomorrow off.

I prefer to target the larger native trout, but rumor has it that they will be stocking 10 to 13 inchers today, might make for some fun C&R if you have nothing better to do.

d

webrx

Reaction score
Taking the day off today, sort of, got to call in for a meeting at 9, but what the heck, my neighbor has today off also so we are heading out around 10 am today to see if we can do a little damage.

d

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
Another good day of fishing on the Truckee yesterday. Went to my favorite spot and hooked into a few more even though the flows and weather changed for the worst.

webrx

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get out today or tomorrow, depends on the weather and the honeydo list. Congrats on your good day. The flows and clarity look a little tough with the rain we have been having, what fly were you using yesterday? I have been having some luck with copper johns and rootbear wooley buggers.

d

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
I hooked a few on a pheasant tail and a few on a red tag. I just read that they are going to start reshaping the Truckee around Mustang in mid July. There goes that area for a while. All for the better though.

webrx

Reaction score
Yeah,

Rock park is dead, no fish at all, even during a hatch. West of Lockwood, you can get into a couple fish, but where they just reworked the river no plant growth on bottom and no fish. Same will happen to Mustang I fear. Gonna have to start fishing west of town if this keeps up.

I have had a little luck out at fishermans park lately, and was going to try the section behind GSR if I get a chance today or tomorrow.

d

webrx

Reaction score
Changed my mind and went out to Mustang yesterday, found a nice spot, caught on 12 in bow on a loop wing emerger. All in all a decent few hours on the river.

d

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
Mustang has some good water. I think next weekend I'm going to venture out fsrther east and see what I can find. I had some good luck west of town in a few locations today.

webrx

Reaction score
Been scouting west of town, but seems like I am always seeing people or cars. I don't mind sharing the river with a couple of folks, but not with twenty. Though that is probably where all the fish are :)

Dave

troutdoorsman

Reaction score
Just because you see a car doesn't mean they are out there fishing. There are a ton of people that like to hike the canyons and even if they are fishing it doesn't mean they are fishing right. I've followed behind many people through holes and have pulled out some nice fish right after they just got done fishing it. for instance yesrterday we went to one of my favorite holes and there was a guy throwing spinners in it for a while. We waited our time because my friend really wanted to fish this hole. He left after 30 minutes and we went in and pulled out 3 nice fish. There are a ton of fish from Idlewild park on up and even though you see a few cars don't get discouraged it very well could be worth it.

webrx

Reaction score
LOL, yep, shows you how much of a newbie I am to Reno, only been here a couple years. I am thinking Verdi and your talking about "west of town" - like just west of town :)

I fished up at mayberry park last summer, did not have a good day dodging all the tubers, but I have not fished near idlewild park.

Been concentrating on spots east of town lately. I also found a nice spot further west of mayberry park. Just gotta watch out for those pesky rattlers during the summer when I go there. Had one scare the bejesus out of me as we were walking out at dusk he was a good 10 feet away when he started rattling, but it was just turning dark and my buddy and I both froze mid step until we could locate him.

Guess I should start venturing west as it seems lately east of town is not producing very well.

Oh, BTW, seems like they planted another 5000 fish last week - no idea where they planted them, but that 10 in 2 months so maybe the fishing will improve a bit. It is not as much fun catching planters, but it is better then getting skunked :)

Dave