Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: what rods do our youth use

St croix triumph, but im saving up and almost have enough for Winston GVX/ Lamson Guru combo...Cant wait!

2. Default Re: what rods do our youth use

all saint croix imperials for me.
    9ft 5 wt
    9ft 8 wt
    6'6" 2 wt
    9ft 10 wt
    9ft 6 wt with a 7 wt line

Default Re: what rods do our youth use

tfo bvk 9 weight

Quote Originally Posted by Pleccy View Post
    How to people rate the TFO pro series in terms of action? I can imagine that the build quality is reflected by the price. I wouldn't mind a 9ft #4 as a spare rod for my pack.
    Hi Pleecy.
    I have a #2 8ft 3pce & a mate has a #4 7'6" 4pce in The Pro Series TFO Rated Med/Fast,They are both nice Rods however using them is like Driving a Nail in with a Hammer.
    Even though I've read good reports on their other Rods I haven't cast them,their services & warranties are Excellent.
    Brian.
    Last edited by Liphookedau; 12-15-2011 at 04:13 AM.

I'll answer for my son (age 11).
    He uses a Redington Crosswater 9' 5wt. outfit and does well with it. It was a real value on closeout (last year's model at 1/2 price) and had proven to be a good durable rod with an action (rated med/fast, but closer to med) a beginner can use easily.
    Mike

This is my first post and the stuff I have is pretty meager comparde to some, but I just took up fly-fishing and just turned 16, so its not too bad.

Cabela's Stowaway 7 8' 5wt with RLS reel.
    Cabela's Wind River 8'6" 4wt with three forks reel.

And soon I will have a custom rod. A 7'6" St. Croix Imperial 4wt with an Allen Reel.

Blog Entries

Hi newby,

Welcome to the forum, your rod sounds like a great set to fish with. Don't let the age thing stop you from joining in the discussions here, OK...........

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Echo GECKO 7'9 4wt 3 Peice Med fast with System one
    Keith

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?

Reddington 8 weight crosswater combo,

Reddington 8 weight red fly combo,

white river Heat 10 weight combo

Guide series 6 weight

TFO 5 weight

10. Default Re: what rods do our youth use

Granted up here in Alaska, some places I could tie a bead to yard tied to the end of a stick and my kid could catch fish. I used my 5 year old kid as a reason to buy a new 5 wt and to him went my old 2 piece sage 5wt when i got my new rod. He has a spare too which was a cheap Cabelas rod my family got him for Christmas.

Kids will use anything you give them. They arent skilled to know the differences so my opinion is any old rod you have that you want to upgrade, give it to the kid and use that as a excuse to convince the wife you need a new rod.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast