Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: what rods do our youth use

Default Re: what rods do our youth use

I have been really busy recently, all work and no play, so I havent been online for a while. I have to revise and update my list, I've changed things around to suit my needs. I have

A custom built 7'6" 4wt. St. Croix Imperial with Ross Flycast 1 Reel
    A TFO BVK 9' 5wt with Cabela's RLS2 reel

And I'm soon to have another custom, a 7'3" TFO Finesse 2wt. I am undecided on what reel.

2. Default Re: what rods do our youth use

I use a cabela's brand rod, I think it is 9ft 5 weight. Just started fly fishing and it is a great rod for what I payed for it. For no more than I use it, it is the perfect rod for a beginner to have fun with.

my 12 yr old son uses a Pflueger Medalist combo 8' 5/6wt i picked up at a local sports shop that was going out of business after the owner passed away, for $30 bucks.

4. Default Re: what rods do our youth use

I, StePhen use a 5wt orvis clearwater outfit, for trout.

I use an 8ft 4wt Winston GVX with an Orvis Hydros and a Winston Boron III SX 9ft 6wt With a Galvan Torque. Also I have a backup TFO Professional Series 8'6 5wt.
    Last edited by troutchaser8; 07-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    Carson

I have four rods.

I have an eight weight that i forget the company because i broke the tip off in july so my grandpas fixing it for me. I have 2 reels for this rod with full sinking and sink tip.

I just got a temple fork outfitters Lefty Kreh proffesional series 2 weight for christmas. dont have a reel for it yet though!

ASlso got a orvis green mountain rod thats a 6 wt. i believe i have 2 reels but i might have 1. I know i have a green mountain orvis reel with floating line.

Finally i have a 5 wt. Orvis graphite series with a floating line reel.

I may be only 12 but fly fishing has gotten me crazy!

Right now,
    A TFO professional II #6 with a lamson konic
    A TFO professional II #9 with a lamson guru
    An old Lamiglas G 1000 #8(bought before I was born but still my favorite) with a little old Pflueger
    In April I finally get my Orvis Clearwater #3 with a Hardy Ultralite CC

Port Washington, WI (fish areas around grafton and plymouth)

I only have one rod and reel for fly fishing, for now. It's a #5 9' Echo Carbon rod and an Orvis Hydros Large Arbor reel. It's a beaut of a combo.

Dry fly rod: 8' 6" 5wt Redington Red Fly 2.
    I like this rod for dries because of the medium action. Surprisingly good for dries for a rod this cheap.

Nymphs, wets, streamers: 9' 5 wt St. Croix Imperial. My work horse rod. Fast action for flinging heavy stuff. $200, made in the USA, can't get much better.

Big fish rod (steelhead, salmon, bass, pike): 9' 8 wt Redington Crosswater. Got this in Alaska 2 years ago for a cheap salmon rod. Spent a week hammering sockeyes and it didn't let me down. Also used it all last year as my winter trout rod.

Right now I'm currently waiting for an Allen Compass 9' 8 wt and Alpha III reel in the mail to replace the Crosswater. Giving the Crosswater to my dad.

As for reels, I use one Lamson Konic on my 5 wts. Absolutely love this reel. On the Crosswater, I had the original Crosswater reel but replaced it while I was in Alaska with an Okuma SLV. The Crosswater drag was just slightly under powered for those sockeyes but the SLV was just the ticket.

My next acquisition will hopefully be an Allen Xa2 or Sage Approach in 5 or 6 wt and another Konic or an Allen Trout II reel.

8'6 hardy zenith 4wt with a Ross evolution lt 1.5

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast