Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default An imaginative son

My 9 yo son, Randy, asked it he could tie a fly on the vice today. I knew that he was somewhat interested in what I had been doing. I'm just starting to learn to tie. I asked him if he wanted some instruction. He refused. Randy likes to catch Bluegill, so I think he had that in mind when he tied this. I hope he catches something on it. That would really make his day... And mine.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...yr-old-son.jpg
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

Default Re: An imaginative son

betcha a dollar he catches a bluegill on it! Good for you to let him do his thing!
    Gary

Very cool congrats to you both!
    Mark

Now you have to give it a name.

Blog Entries

That'll catch Gills but he needs to keep the false casting to the minimum until he gets better at binding the flies all together. He looks like a streamer / salmon fly type to me My very first flies looked sorta like that with feather wings and long bodies, I still tie them.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Dave: That is a nice looking fly for a first try, I'm sure hoping he is able to hook into a nice bluegill with that!

Larry
    Larry

Thanks everyone!
    Randy put on a huge smile and really liked reading your comments.
    He's fired up to tie so more!
    Dave
    There never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them.
    -Jim Croce-

8. Default Re: An imaginative son

haha looks great for a first fly, blue gill will eat anything!

Randy's Birthday is coming up in on December 4th. I want to buy him a fly rod combo set. I thinking of th $60 Pfluger 9' 5 or 6 wt for his first rod so he can fish for bluegills with his new flies. Shhhh! Don't Tell Him!!!
    Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive combos?

Dave
    -Jim Croce-

Quote Originally Posted by dave5977 View Post
    Randy's Birthday is coming up in on December 4th. I want to buy him a fly rod combo set. I thinking of th $60 Pfluger 9' 5 or 6 wt for his first rod so he can fish for bluegills with his new flies. Shhhh! Don't Tell Him!!!
    Does anyone have experience with these inexpensive combos?

Dave
    Not that brand combo, but I bought my son a Redington 9' 5wt combo last year when they re-designed that particular rod. Got it for around half price and it's worked well for him.
    The 5wt is tough enough to withstand some abuse when landing panfish, but is light enough he can still have fun.
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast