Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions for a 5yr old

Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Once my boys discovered girls they dropped the flyrods.
    LOL!

I think I might go with a 8' 5wt. He likes the color blue, batson has an IM6 Forcast blank in blue, I think I might build him one with the Forcast blank.

A gentleman in our club literally wrote the book on kids and flyfishing and he stresses safety.
    Safety glassses and 9foot rods. The long rod length to help keep flies away from eyes and faces

Last edited by Rip Tide; 01-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

That's a good point, never thought about the length keeping them a little safer. Then again, the only one they seemed to hook was me anyway.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    My opinion? DON'T GET ONE! I've had 3 5yr olds, they're expensive, needy and interfere with flyfishing! All kidding aside, my kinds all started on an 8'6" 5wt. They all picked it up fairly quickly. Once my boys discovered girls they dropped the flyrods.
    probably likewise for my grand daughter, i figure as soon as she hits the big twelve , she's a goner

thanks for all the tips.

don't know for sure if my grand kids will want to learn to fly fish.

they are all of different minds and temperaments .

i do plan to introduce them to the art when and if they seem responsive to the idea.

times they are a changin' so who knows ....

i do have an idea though, i intend to teach at least one of them how to build his own rod, might make a difference in the long haul whether he stays with the sport or not.

my motto is "make it yourself"

buzz

the universe in a drop of water

Norta Mudzoory

I've taught many a kid and here's some ideas I've gleaned over the years. Short and inexpensive is best for beginners as they will likely break the tip off or worse before they are ready to graduate to a longer rod. Sunglasses for eye protection for sure and lots of practice, via a casting pond or lawn with a fluff fly that has no hook. Backing up one step I get them a spin cast reel and what's almost an ice fishing rod as soon sa they show an interest. My two year old Great Grandson already enjoys swinging around his rod, minus the reel but he has the idea already. Soon he'll be casting and somewhere around 5 but no later than 7 he'll be flinging a fly. Those light weight eagle claw rods are superb and at $20 it's hard to beat as a starter rod and they range from 6 to 7.5 feet in length. In cat over the years with kids, then Grandkids and now GGrandkids, I have an assortment of fly rods that have had tips broken but repaired and these usually are pressed into duty until the child in question becomes more aware of keeping that tip safe.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reply. Those are also good points.

7. Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    A gentleman in our club literally wrote the book on kids and flyfishing and he stresses safety.
    Safety glassses and 9foot rods. The long rod length to help keep flies away from eyes and faces

I ordered this yesterday. Thanks for pointing it out!

8. Default Re: Opinions for a 5yr old

Hello
    is there any role for a practice rod? i habe a 6 yo boy and 3 yo girl
    thanks

Echo and Orvis have a good one. Check them out.

Fredy

I started both of my youngest (son and daughter) out with the "fly and bubble" technique when they were about three. I did this, with them, in still and moving water...They both started out with the same fly rod when they were about five - a Winston 7 1/2', 4wt., fiberglass "Stalker" with a Hardy Featherweight and DT line...

My son Michael, up on the South Fork of the Kern River in Monache Meadows, Golden Trout Wilderness with that rod and his first Golden...

My daughter Ally on the Madison River, MT when she had progressed to a 9', Sage SP, 5wt, at twelve...

Neither of my kids has broken a rod yet...but their old man has...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, " How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

11. Likes fredy liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast