Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bass flies

Default Re: bass flies

Let the bass do the talking; did I say I love top-water? I fish mostly deer hair poppers and divers.

Tom

2. Likes brookfieldangler, basshole8, N/A liked this post
  3. Default Re: bass flies

Yeah, I use mainly size 6 black and olive wooly buggers, chartreuse/white clousers, sneaky Pete poppers, and deer hair poppers. Bass arent picky, though, so pretty much anything works!
    Last edited by panfishpredator; 08-20-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typos

mridenour Guest

I like those pics and the fly hanging out the mouth! Looks like you had a blast!

This weekend the smallies hit anything in green, lime, or chartreuse. Wet flies about size 10 or 12. We had good luck with flies that had a bit of flash, in the tail or ribbing. Bling was the thing !
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Everyone here has thrown out some great patterns and they all know what they are talking about. Clousers, Decievers, Buggers are all great and pretty basic to tie. Also being close to the coast don't forget to check out some saltwater patterns that guys may be using on stripers off the beach. Most of those make top notch bass patterns. And last but not least experiment. Bass love big ugly flies with life like movement. Dark patterns for evening and early morning, Bright colors for day time fishing. Good luck.

Default bass flies

I cut up wine bottle corks and make top water poppers

They work best with just a few feathers tied off the back... I'll take some pics and post soon
    I use them for small mouth and large mouth on a local river

and then my Dad said, "well aren't you just buckets of fish guts"

Buckets. welcome to the site! Good suggestion about cork! I also have used the wine corks & bottle stoppers. Used to be that good pre-shaped cork bodies were readily available, and inexpensive, but not so much now. Foam bodies have pretty much replaced cork, but cork is still a good material!

These were made with pre-shaped cork bodies. Not pretty, but they caught a lot of fish!

This one was made with a bottle stopper. Fairly simple, yet they work well!

Smallmouths are my favorite freshwater species & I like to experiment with all kinds of flies. Many big western trout flies, Steelhead & Salmon flies work very well for stream & river SM bass. I particularly like those made with foam.

These deer hair dry flies are wonderful SM flies!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

9. Likes buckets liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    Buckets. welcome to the site! Good suggestion about cork! I also have used the wine corks & bottle stoppers. Used to be that good pre-shaped cork bodies were readily available, and inexpensive, but not so much now. Foam bodies have pretty much replaced cork, but cork is still a good material!

These were made with pre-shaped cork bodies. Not pretty, but they caught a lot of fish!

This one was made with a bottle stopper. Fairly simple, yet they work well!

Smallmouths are my favorite freshwater species & I like to experiment with all kinds of flies. Many big western trout flies, Steelhead & Salmon flies work very well for stream & river SM bass. I particularly like those made with foam.

These deer hair dry flies are wonderful SM flies!

Thanks for the great fly pics and warm welcome

I'm definitely not the best tier and I've found bass flies are a great way to learn!

I have tied some way ugly stuff that the bass love..

Yours are all beautiful

and then my Dad said, "well aren't you just buckets of fish guts"

Thanks for the great fly pics and warm welcome

I'm definitely not the best tier and I've found bass flies are a great way to learn!

I have tied some way ugly stuff that the bass love..

Yours are all beautiful
    This is a great site, with lots of good folks, so we try to give everyone a warm welcome!

Thank you for the compliment! I tie plenty of ugly flies as well!

The bass don't seem to care either way!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

12. Likes buckets liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12