Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simple fly patterns

Default Re: Simple fly patterns

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of David McPhail on you-tube. His voice and manner is so soothing, that I watch his videos when I come home from work all stressed out. I not even watching to learn the fly, he just relaxes me! Lol

Mike
    He really can put me to sleep! The guy is a brilliant tyer, but he's just too slow for me and all that Scottish mumbling...buhhhhh.

But I do still watch him because he is so good. But I do not think he is the best tutorial for beginners, he rarely ties simple flies yet he makes very complex patterns appear very simple! For the rest of us it is frustration.

I really like Hans Weilenmann's video's. He is amazing and more on the "simple fly" style. Hans Weilenmann
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann

Get the Book 'Simple Flies' and/or 'What Trout Want' All are EZ to tie and extremely effective flies.

My Favorites are:

Dries - Iris Caddis, Elk/Deer Hair Caddis (no Hackle), X-Caddis, Snowshoe Emerger Caddis, Griffiths Gnat, Henry's Fork Yellow Stonefly (Lawson), Parachute Ant (black or Brown), Deer Hair Beetle.

Wets - Stewart Spider in Black,Brown,PT; Various Kebari's, Killer Bug, Killer bugger with Marabou tail, Copper John or So. Platter Brassy, Prince Nymph, Girdle Bug (Brown/Black).

Streamers - Seaducer, Wooley Bugger, Clouser Minnow, Zoo Cougar,Thunder Creek, Shenk's White Streamer and Dead Drift Crayfish.

I use others at various time of the year but these work great for me.

3. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

WOOLEY WORM AND BUGGER!

They are as simple as a fly gets, and are effective on bass, trout, and panfish. You can make them in endless color combinations, weight it or not, and the materials won't break the bank.

5. Likes bigjim5589, markfrid liked this post

Mr Bigjim mentioned Charlie Craven - you can't beat his website for step by step instructions (and excellent photos) on tying all kinds of patterns, from simple to complicated. Go to charliesflyboxinc.com, go to the menu box on the right side of the home page and click on "Flybox." You should see many pages of fly patterns. When you see one you want to tie click on it and you'll get all the instructions. If you click on the "Printable version" printer icon, you'll get step by step, with pictures of each step. Awesome resource.

Good luck and have fun tying!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post

WOOLEY WORM AND BUGGER!

They are as simple as a fly gets, and are effective on bass, trout, and panfish. You can make them in endless color combinations, weight it or not, and the materials won't break the bank.
    Bingo.

A few other old, very simple patterns include the wingless Grey (i. e., grizzly) Hackle Peacock, Grey Hackle Yellow, Brown Hackle Peacock, and Partridge & Hares Ear. You could tie the peacock and hare's ear bodies with a gold tinsel rib or not, as you wish.

Tie them with hen or partridge hackle and they make great wet flies or nymphs. Tie them with stiff cock hackle (substituting grizzly for the partridge) and stiff tail material and they make great dry flies. Fashions in fly popularity have come and gone over the years, but these old easy-to-tie classics are still as deadly as ever.

8. Likes markfrid liked this post
  9. Default Re: Simple fly patterns

http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-tyin...cormorant.html

I have recently started tying and fishing these and the fish are hammering them. The only reason why I tied it is I had the material and it was easy. I wrap the hook in lead free wire first, then wrap the peacock and finally put a little marabou on the head and done. I have had most success with swinging them and sometimes adding in short strips to the swing. This is an easy fly to tie that will catch you fish just like the wooly bugger and when a bugger won't work this fly is worth a try. Swing away!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

10. Default Re: Simple fly patterns

Arpo fly
    The simpliest fly in the world although really effettive
    Arpo

I'm proud of this guy. I hope my nephews can learn from this fella.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of David McPhail on you-tube. His voice and manner is so soothing, that I watch his videos when I come home from work all stressed out. I not even watching to learn the fly, he just relaxes me! Lol

Mike
    I completely agree. His voice is just soothing.
    "We are all puppets, Laurie. I'm just the puppet who can see the strings." -Doctor Manhattan

13. Likes mlob1one liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12