The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Youth Fly Fishing A place for our younger members to comunicate with each other.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple fly patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
I'm a huge fan of David McPhail on you-tube. His voice and manner is so soothing, that I watch his videos when I come home from work all stressed out. I not even watching to learn the fly, he just relaxes me! Lol

Mike
He really can put me to sleep! The guy is a brilliant tyer, but he's just too slow for me and all that Scottish mumbling...buhhhhh.

But I do still watch him because he is so good. But I do not think he is the best tutorial for beginners, he rarely ties simple flies yet he makes very complex patterns appear very simple! For the rest of us it is frustration.

I really like Hans Weilenmann's video's. He is amazing and more on the "simple fly" style. Hans Weilenmann
https://www.youtube.com/user/HansWeilenmann
Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 AM

rsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud ofrsagebrush has much to be proud of

Get the Book 'Simple Flies' and/or 'What Trout Want' All are EZ to tie and extremely effective flies.

My Favorites are:

Dries - Iris Caddis, Elk/Deer Hair Caddis (no Hackle), X-Caddis, Snowshoe Emerger Caddis, Griffiths Gnat, Henry's Fork Yellow Stonefly (Lawson), Parachute Ant (black or Brown), Deer Hair Beetle.

Wets - Stewart Spider in Black,Brown,PT; Various Kebari's, Killer Bug, Killer bugger with Marabou tail, Copper John or So. Platter Brassy, Prince Nymph, Girdle Bug (Brown/Black).

Streamers - Seaducer, Wooley Bugger, Clouser Minnow, Zoo Cougar,Thunder Creek, Shenk's White Streamer and Dead Drift Crayfish.

I use others at various time of the year but these work great for me.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bigjim5589 liked this post
Old 05-05-2016, 10:54 AM

weiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to allweiliwen is a name known to all

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

WOOLEY WORM AND BUGGER!

They are as simple as a fly gets, and are effective on bass, trout, and panfish. You can make them in endless color combinations, weight it or not, and the materials won't break the bank.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bigjim5589, markfrid liked this post
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 PM

markfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to beholdmarkfrid is a splendid one to behold

Mr Bigjim mentioned Charlie Craven - you can't beat his website for step by step instructions (and excellent photos) on tying all kinds of patterns, from simple to complicated. Go to charliesflyboxinc.com, go to the menu box on the right side of the home page and click on "Flybox." You should see many pages of fly patterns. When you see one you want to tie click on it and you'll get all the instructions. If you click on the "Printable version" printer icon, you'll get step by step, with pictures of each step. Awesome resource.

Good luck and have fun tying!

Mark
Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM

moucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant futuremoucheur2003 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

WOOLEY WORM AND BUGGER!

They are as simple as a fly gets, and are effective on bass, trout, and panfish. You can make them in endless color combinations, weight it or not, and the materials won't break the bank.
Bingo.

A few other old, very simple patterns include the wingless Grey (i. e., grizzly) Hackle Peacock, Grey Hackle Yellow, Brown Hackle Peacock, and Partridge & Hares Ear. You could tie the peacock and hare's ear bodies with a gold tinsel rib or not, as you wish.

Tie them with hen or partridge hackle and they make great wet flies or nymphs. Tie them with stiff cock hackle (substituting grizzly for the partridge) and stiff tail material and they make great dry flies. Fashions in fly popularity have come and gone over the years, but these old easy-to-tie classics are still as deadly as ever.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes markfrid liked this post
Old 05-07-2016, 12:02 AM

angrycoast is on a distinguished road

http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/fly-tyin...cormorant.html

I have recently started tying and fishing these and the fish are hammering them. The only reason why I tied it is I had the material and it was easy. I wrap the hook in lead free wire first, then wrap the peacock and finally put a little marabou on the head and done. I have had most success with swinging them and sometimes adding in short strips to the swing. This is an easy fly to tie that will catch you fish just like the wooly bugger and when a bugger won't work this fly is worth a try. Swing away!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 03:58 PM

suan is on a distinguished road

Arpo fly
The simpliest fly in the world although really effettive
Arpo
Old 05-30-2017, 09:48 PM

g4rnet is on a distinguished road

I'm proud of this guy. I hope my nephews can learn from this fella.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:49 AM

SethO is a glorious beacon of lightSethO is a glorious beacon of lightSethO is a glorious beacon of lightSethO is a glorious beacon of lightSethO is a glorious beacon of lightSethO is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
I'm a huge fan of David McPhail on you-tube. His voice and manner is so soothing, that I watch his videos when I come home from work all stressed out. I not even watching to learn the fly, he just relaxes me! Lol

Mike
I completely agree. His voice is just soothing.
Likes mlob1one liked this post