Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you tie flies?

1. Smile Re: How many of you tie flies?

I tie flies when I have the materials I love it

Default Re: How many of you tie flies?

I probably tie five nights a week at home. I'm also lucky to get to tie every other Tuesday, and the first Friday of the month with guys from our FF club.

My favorites go in cycles. Probably overall favorites this last year have been nymphs with some sparkle. I've mixed a lot of dubbing with ice dub chopped into it this year. Been messing around with UV colors too. Favorite ice dub to throw in the mix, "Northern Lights"; favorite krystal flash, "Grey Ghost".

Whoops. I see what Rip Tide meant now. This is for the "Youth" forum. Sorry please delete mods.
    Last edited by Jimmie; 11-26-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: wrong forum

3. Default Re: How many of you tie flies?

Since fly tying can save you losts of money, it can also get pretty expensive if you buy materials you don't need. It is sometimes overwelming what is out there. If you can, talk with established tyers and I have found that they will often share advice and some materials with beginners. I would stay away from kits as they may load you up with poor quality seldom used materials and only a so-so vise. Ask questions on forums like this for help and advice.

I tie whenever I've got the time (and the materials). Not often enough, that's for sure.

Pocono

Do what I do, become extremely addicted to fishing streamers, design your own, and rock that one bugger all year.

If you only need the simple few materials you can just buy them in bulk and tie when you need to. Remember that glue can be your friend, and your foe.

I recommend buying hooks that are de-barbed. Barbed fishing is a joke (in my opinion)

Kgl. I just don't get the kick of observing hatches and trying to match them. I think it's an old school thing. I catch so many fish no matter what the hatches are doing that it just doesn't matter to me. I can appreciate the art and experience of hatch matching, it just doesn't excite me.

My full circle of fly fishing consists of picking up trash out of the river, reciting a poem to every trout I catch, then releasing them back happier then they were before I caught them.

Blog Entries

i tie when ever i can. i would tie more, but a little gem came into my life 4 years ago that trumps that. when i was a kid i tied all the time and even used to sell them at the local fly shop for 50 cents a pop.

Blog Entries

one of my ak boxes
    [IMG]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5246/5247356222_547d90314b_z.jpg[/lMG]
    Last edited by caseywise; 12-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Blog Entries

whoops, lets try that again

I tie almost every day. My favorite pattern would have to be just a simple beadhead nymph, it always seems to produce when nothing else does.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
    whoops, lets try that again
    Casey, quit slacking! I still see room in there!
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast